Convention 2007 - Highlights: Sunday, September 30
The final day of Convention began with an endnote by Michael Clarke, JD, discussing the skyrocketing costs of health care due to fraud, waste, and abuse of the Medicaid system.
During the final session of this year's Voting Body:
- A motion was introduced (and passed) to increase the membership dues voluntary PAC contribution from $5 to $10. The increase is scheduled to take effect in the beginning of fiscal year 2009.
- Results of the association-wide election for NYSNA officers were announced. The election was conducted by mail ballot and online, with all NYSNA members eligible to vote.
- President-elect: Karen A. Ballard
- Treasurer: J. Howard Doughty
- Members at Large of the Board of Directors:
- Miriam Gonzalez
- Lydia M. Lopez
- Jose Mapalad Planillo
- Winifred Z. Kennedy
- Nominating Committee
- Jacqueline Grant
- Barbara E. Lewis (chair)
- Marion Spector
- Janice M. Viola
- Jessica Zambrano
- At the conclusion of the session, Verlia Brown turned the gavel over to Linda O'Brien, who will serve as NYSNA president for the next two years.
Please note: Below are images from events throughout Convention. Click on the individual thumbnails for a larger image.
With more than 34,000 members, NYSNA is the oldest and largest state
nurses’ association in the nation. It is an influential union for
RNs, representing nurses in New York and New Jersey. Offering a wide range
of services to its members, NYSNA fosters high standards of nursing education
and practice and works to advance the profession through legislative activity.
It is a constituent of the American Nurses Association and of the United
American Nurses, an affiliate of the AFL-CIO.